Equity loan

Everything you need to know as an equity loan customer can be found using the links below.

Repaying your loan

You can repay your equity loan at any time by either:

Most equity loans can only be repaid in full. The amount you pay back will be calculated on the current market value of your home, which will be assessed by an independent surveyor once you have submitted your application. For details on our panel of surveyors please download this PDF. You will also need to appoint a solicitor to act for you in this transaction.

It is very rare that you would be able to move your equity loan to another property, this can only happen in exceptional circumstances and also depends on the funding you received. Our Post Sales Services Team will be able to advice you on this. You can contact us by emailing postsales@moat.co.uk.

Our Homeowner's Handbook gives further information about redeeming your equity loan so please take a look at the relevant section before applying. Before you submit your application, you must ensure you have registered all improvements you have made with us, and obtained a valuation report. Once you are ready to apply, please log into your MyMoat account, to access the application. If you do not have a MyMoat account, it's easy to set one up; simply visit moat.co.uk/mymoat and click on ‘sign up’. Enter your email address, surname, date of birth and set up a password. You will be emailed a verification link which you will need to click to activate your account and you’re ready to go.

Please note that the information you enter to set up your MyMoat account must match the details we have for you on our system.

Adapting and improving your home

As a customer with an equity loan, you'll need to get our permission before you carry out any home improvements. We will request details of the improvements you would like to make, as well as information on who is carrying out the work and a copy of estimates for the work.

If you choose to redeem your equity loan, then the added value of the registered improvements will be taken into financial consideration; so it is important that you register any improvements that you have made with us. For further information of works that are classed as improvements, take a look at our Homeowner's Handbook.

If permission is granted for home improvements, it is your responsibility to investigate whether planning permission or building control is required. You will also be responsible for arranging these if needed.

Once you are ready, you can apply using our Home improvements registration form.

Transferring your equity loan

Remove someone

If you want to remove someone from the charge, we will need you to provide us with a copy of certified identification for that person. We will also need your mortgage lender to provide written consent and a copy of the new mortgage offer (if applicable), plus a redemption statement. You can download the application form here.

Add someone

If you wish to add someone to the charge, we will need copy of certified identification for that person, a copy of the new mortgage offer in joint names and a redemption statement from your current lender. We have no objections to you borrowing extra money on your mortgage to buy out your partner’s share, but we will need written confirmation from your solicitor that the additional borrowing is solely for this purpose. You can download the application form here.

Need more information? Take a look at our Homeowner's Handbook.


If your mortgage rate is coming to an end, you will need to contact your mortgage advisor or lender to arrange a new deal. We suggest that you allow at least three months for this process; if you are changing lender or borrowing more money, the mortgage lender will need our consent to postpone the second charge on your property.

We will not consent to postpone the second charge for any mortgage rate exceeding 7.5%, for any mortgage which has a linked current account or reserve facility or for interest only or self-certified mortgages. We cannot give our consent for re-mortgaging for the purposes of debt consolidation.

If your further advance is for home improvements or essential repairs you will need to supply copies of estimates for works and detailed plans, planning permission and building regulations if required.

Need more information? Take a look at our Homeowners Handbook.


Due to the conditions of your equity charge, we are unable to consider requests for permission to sub-let your property.

Please consider other options such as repaying (redeeming) your equity loan (see above), or selling the property.